Domain Forwarding is used to redirect visitors from one web address to another. Once a domain is registered, you can enable the domain forwarding service.
The way in which the domain forwarding behaves depends on the format of the domain name to which it applies:
- domain.com—Applies to all requests for this domain, unless overridden by a second domain forwarding record. However, if a site visitor looks for whatever.domain.com, domain forwarding is not applied (unless a specific record has been set up for whatever.domain.com, or *.domain.com).
- *.domain.com—Applies domain forwarding to all subdomains. It will not handle domain.com, but it will handle anything.domain.com.
- whatever.domain.com—Domain forwarding is applied to this subdomain only.
To enable domain forwarding, you need to create an A record for your domain and set it to 188.8.131.52. If you expect to enable domain forwarding for multiple domains, you can create a template that has an A record set to the correct domain forwarding IP address (184.108.40.206).
For information on creating a domain forwarding template, see Creating or editing a DNS template.
To enable domain forwarding
- Click Domains in the Control Panel.
- In the text field, enter all or part of the domain name or the admin email for which you want to search, and click Search.
- Click the name of the domain for which you want to enable domain forwarding.
- In the Nameservers section, click Edit and ensure that Nameserver Provider is set to Use Our Nameservers.
- In the DNS section, click Edit. and do one of the following:
- From the DNS Template drop-down list, choose the domain forwarding template that you created, and click Apply.
- From the Add New Record drop-down list, choose A Record, and in the associated IP Address, enter 220.127.116.11.
- From the Add New Record drop-down list, choose Forward or Masked Forward. If you choose Masked Forward, the destination website address that appears in the browser address field is the original domain name, not the address of the destination. If you choose Forward, the actual destination address is displayed.
- In the Destination URL field, enter the address to which you want to redirect visitors, for example, http://www.mycompany.com/, mybestpage.html, or http://18.104.22.168.
- If you are creating a Masked Forward, you can also complete the following optional fields:
- Page Title—The text that you want to appear in the browser title bar.
- Page Description—A short description of your website.
- Page Keywords—Descriptive words that a visitor might use when searching for your website. Separate each word or phrase with a comma.
- Click Save DNS Settings.
Note: For storefront nameservers (ns1.shopco.com,ns2.shopco.com,ns3.shopco.com) the forwarding A Record is 22.214.171.124. The instructions above are not applicable for storefront domains, the A record must be added via the storefront end user portal.